Monday 14 December 2009

New commenting system

You may have noticed yesterday I installed a new commenting system to replace Haloscan, which I've used for a long time.

I didn't have a lot of choice. Haloscan announced it was coming to an end and users had two choices.

Adopt a new system provided by the company that bought Haloscan, or manage on your own, thereby losing all your old comments.

So I had to choose the new one. It's a bit different but I think I'll like it. It's one that's being used around the place a lot more and has some benefits, one of which is more readily enabled comment moderation.

It allows me, as blog owner, to mark readers as approved always. Once you're approved you'll be able to always comment without moderation. Only inappropriate comments will fail to be approved and it's highly unlikely that any such action will have to be taken but unfortunately it's a step I've had to take. I don't really like the idea of moderation but there you go. Sometimes you have to do things you don't like.

So I'm sorry if it's a bit clunky at first but don't be put off - I think it's a system that's fairly easy to adjust to and you'll no doubt see it around a lot more as it takes off and becomes more common.

But please, if you're just writing as a guest, leave your name somehow so I know it's you!

Bells